Knowing how to remove Japanese knotweed from your property as its defiance to grow beyond any boundary and leaving on its trail significant damage to the environment, property and structures elevate it to one of the world’s most invasive species.
This has led to the design and creation of various methodologies to combat the spread and facilitate the complete removal of this weed.
Even though most people prefer to deploy commercial means to deal with this ever-present menace, Japanese knotweed removal DIY methods have also proven equally effective if taken seriously.
Therefore, without a shadow of a doubt, the question as to whether you can successfully eradicate the weed through DIY methods is affirmative.
Notably, some of the efficacious Japanese knotweed DIY removal approaches include; burning and burying, excavation, use of herbicides, smothering, and barrier membranes.
For you to achieve successful Japanese knotweed DIY removal, here are the dos and don’ts starting with the former respectively:
As soon as you discover the growth of Japanese knotweed on your land, property, or in an unwanted area, the best course of action is to create an immediate DIY removal response plan to curb the spread of Japanese knotweed.
It is advised that one moves with urgency at the slightest infestation of the weed because it will be easier and will take fewer amounts of time to eradicate the invasive weed before it spreads.
Remember, the longer the weed stays in an area unattended to, the bigger it grows, and once its roots and canes mature, it will require triple the effort and presumably more resources to get rid of the Japanese knotweed.
Evaluate your action plan
Evidently, some action plans, even those falling within the DIY removal approaches, may take longer than others. For instance, if one resort to using certain herbicides as the chosen means to get rid of the weed, this may take a little bit longer than the usage of strategies such as cutting down the weed and burning it.
On this footing, evaluating your action plan will help you know the time period within which you can expect to get rid of the weed; most importantly, it will enable you to set in place the proper resources that will be needed to complete the task.
Getting rid of Japanese knotweed is not easy. Even after you have set out an effective Japanese knotweed DIY removal strategy, you must be vigilant in constantly doing check-ups on the area that has been subjected to the removal strategy.
It is possible to find young rhizomes trying to grow back where the original weed existed. In such cases, one can arrange for mowing or the spray of herbicides to be done within a certain time frame to make sure no re-growth of the weed occurs.
Where you are uncertain about the applicability and effectiveness of a DIT removal method, it is always recommendable to consult with professionals in and around such an area.
Experts will help you better understand the type of Japanese knotweed infestation you face and the most effective response plan to the same, although this will all come at a cost.
The don’ts of Japanese knotweed DIY removal are as follows:
Do not allow the infestation to spread to any neighbouring property.
While you are making all the necessary efforts to eradicate Japanese knotweed through DIY removal methods, you must be very cautious and ensure that the spread does not extend to neighbouring properties.
You can do this by putting up a protective fence, avoiding any transfer of soil to the adjacent lands, and basically alerting your neighbours on the weed’s existence so that they, too, can prepare accordingly.
- No half-hearted job
Japanese knotweed DIY removal requires one to go the full mile to get rid of it completely. Do not take unnecessary long periods of time in effecting the action plan. Remember this is an invasive plant; once you give it time to re-grow, it will certainly do so.
One must be dedicated to the removal exercise to the very end.
- Do not use untried means and hope for the best
There are many myths surrounding DIY removal methods, including the use of bleach, vinegar, and other products. It is always advisable to stick to what has been qualified to work to save both time and the resources required for the full eradication of the weed.
Are There Any Success Stories On Japanese Knotweed DIY Removal?
It is not unusual to find stories of many people who have effectively eradicated the weed, mainly through DIY removal strategies. An example of such a success story is that of the ‘North Coast Land Conservancy’ (NCLC) group, which is based in Oregon’s State.
Its key objective is to create novel ways of approaching environmental conservation within their area/communities.
The Japanese knotweed had gained a substantial foothold on a 2-acre habitat reserve in the Necanicum forest, a habitat for a variety of native plants. The presence of a river within the area made the growth of the Japanese knotweed quite fast, and immediate action and to be taken.
The community, against all odds, used hand-pulling, which is considered less effective than other superior methods such as using herbicides in dealing with the weed. However, the secret to their success was consistency in pulling out the weed to allow no time for re-growth.
Although the NCLC admits to having used limited herbicide sprays where necessary, they attributed their success to hand pulling as a Japanese knotweed DIY removal mechanism.
Japanese knotweed DIY removal mechanisms are difficult, time-consuming, and tedious because most of the work is done manually.
However, borrowing a leaf from the various success stories of Japanese knotweed DIY removal tactics, one must practice perseverance, be creative, and put in a lot of hard work.
You must be careful not to do the job half-heartedly because this may invoke the weed’s vicious growth and lead to greater problems. If done right, Japanese knotweed DIY removal methods can be as effective as the commercial methods that have been tested, tried, and proven.
Want to know more about how to remove Japanese Knotweed?
Knotweed Removal aims to provide the most up-to-date information, help and advice for YOU to make informed decisions. If you are unsure or uncertain about how to proceed, please reach out to us and we will gladly come back and advise you as best we can.
The best means to contact us is via our email – email@example.com
Do not forget we have a library of blogs covering many areas relevant to Japanese Knotweed, our free downloadable How-to Guides and Product Reviews on the latest methods being employed to eradicate or remove Japanese Knotweed.
Knotweed Removal, UK
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA: Rootblast weed killer is a powerful solution that comes in a concentrated form, making it highly effective at killing weeds down to the roots.
- SUPER STRENGTH GLYPHOSATE: With a high concentration of glyphosate, Rootblast provides effective control over a wide range of weeds, including tough-to-kill perennial weeds.
- KILLS WEEDS AT THE ROOT: Unlike other weed killers that only target the leaves of weeds, Rootblast penetrates deep into the soil to kill weeds at the root, preventing them from growing back.
- EASY TO USE: Simply dilute Rootblast with water according to the instructions and apply to the affected areas with a sprayer for quick and easy application.
- LARGE COVERAGE AREA: One 1L bottle of Rootblast can cover up to 1,666 square meters of land, making it a cost-effective solution for large gardens and properties. Choose Rootblast for powerful weed control and a weed-free garden all year round.
- New formula
- 6 sachet pack
- Fast action ready to use weed killer that kills the weeds and roots with visible results in 1-2 days
- Kills most garden weeds with a single application; up to 10 minutes of continuous spray when using 5 L option
- Children and pets need not be excluded from treated areas (once dry)
- The Pump N Go pressure sprayer is easily refillable, a one- touch trigger prevents hand fatique and extendable lance avoids bending.
- Degraded in the soil by micro organisms
- EXTRA STRONG GLYPHOSATE WEED KILLER - Say goodbye to stubborn weeds with Rootblast Total Weedkiller. Its powerful formula, containing glyphosate, effectively eliminates unwanted vegetation.
- QUICK AND EASY APPLICATION - With Rootblast Total Weedkiller, weed control becomes hassle-free. The attachable trigger allows for effortless and precise application of this potent weed killer spray.
- COMBAT A WIDE RANGE OF WEEDS - This glyphosate weed killer spray is specially formulated to combat a variety of annual and perennial weeds, providing effective weed control.
- TREATS UP TO 140 SQUARE METERS - Enjoy great coverage with Rootblast Total Weedkiller. Each 4-liter bottle provides ample solution to effectively treat up to 140 square meters of land.
- SUITABLE FOR VARIOUS SURFACES - Rootblast Total Weedkiller is a versatile solution that can be used on driveways, lawns, gardens, paths, and patios, ensuring effective weed control.
- FOR HOME USE - Can be used in your garden without the need of a spraying certificate, contains the same amount of glyphosate as professional grade weedkillers.
- STRONG WEEDKILLER - Effectively controls annual and deep-rooted perennial weeds, kills most weeds within a single application.
- COMPATIBLE WITH PERSONAL SPRAYERS - Perfect for use with a knapsack sprayer, simply dilute 30ml of weedkiller per litre of water
- USE RESPONSIBLY - Do not spray in rainy or windy conditions, do not walk on treated area until dry.