Does Japanese knotweed cause subsidence? Actually, yes. The most common question about Japanese knotweed is whether or not it will cause subsidence or it will damage your property.
Knotweed can cause both, depending on how it grows. The stemless, underground stems can grow up to thirty feet tall, so they can reach your roof if they break through the surface. But they will not actually move a large amount of soil, since they are not roots.
Even if they did move some soil away, it would only be a very small amount and it would quickly be replaced.
A better understanding
Japanese knotweed is an invasive weed that can cause subsidence. It causes this damage by pulling on the ground and pushing it downwards, causing cracks in the foundation of a building or home.
This plant is hard to get rid of because it spreads through spores and will take over if not controlled.
The spread of Japanese knotweed is attributed to its ability to grow very quickly even when there are only tiny fragments left behind after being cut down or pulled up.
So, why do some people claim that knotweed can and will cause subsidence in your home? That comes down to how you interpret “subsidence” itself.
You might as well not mention it to your mortgage company, because they likely won’t let you talk about it. They don’t want to deal with it.
Your bank doesn’t want to deal with it, either, since it can lead to expensive and complicated repairs that they would have to pay for out of their own pocket, and they don’t want to be liable for the resulting lawsuits that result from your mortgage providing grounds for such damage.
So what does “subsidence” mean, anyway?
It’s an old-fashioned term that describes any unexpected movement in a structure’s foundation, usually caused by some kind of physical event like a massive ocean wave or ground collapsing.
Usually, this kind of incident causes major damage to homes and businesses, but sometimes it doesn’t.
Whatever the case, though, you shouldn’t be worried if you suspect that your home could be at risk. There are measures that you can take to make sure that it doesn’t cause your mortgage lender to take the traditional route of foreclosing and removing your home from your possession.
Japanese Knotweed is a fast-growing plant with the ability to cause subsidence. In fact, it can grow up to one foot per day and produce more than 1 million seeds in just two months! Watch out for this invasive species as you move through your yard outside of work.
You should also plan on regular check-ups of the ground for any signs of subsidence, as well as of the foundation of your home in general.
Remember: Prevention is far better than cure, so the sooner you can stop the Japanese knotweed from causing subsidence in your property, the better.
Want to know if Japanese Knotweed causes subsidence?
Knotweed Removal aims to provide the most up-to-date information, help and advice for YOU to make informed decisions. If you are unsure or uncertain about how to proceed, please reach out to us and we will gladly come back and advise you as best we can.
Governmental advice can be found here and the UK law covering the removal of Japanese Knotweed as stated under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 can be found here.
The best means to contact us is via our email – email@example.com
Do not forget we have a library of blogs covering many areas relevant to Japanese Knotweed, our free downloadable How-to Guides and Product Reviews on the latest methods being employed to eradicate or remove Japanese Knotweed.
Knotweed Removal, UK
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA: Rootblast weed killer is a powerful solution that comes in a concentrated form, making it highly effective at killing weeds down to the roots.
- SUPER STRENGTH GLYPHOSATE: With a high concentration of glyphosate, Rootblast provides effective control over a wide range of weeds, including tough-to-kill perennial weeds.
- KILLS WEEDS AT THE ROOT: Unlike other weed killers that only target the leaves of weeds, Rootblast penetrates deep into the soil to kill weeds at the root, preventing them from growing back.
- EASY TO USE: Simply dilute Rootblast with water according to the instructions and apply to the affected areas with a sprayer for quick and easy application.
- LARGE COVERAGE AREA: One 1L bottle of Rootblast can cover up to 1,666 square meters of land, making it a cost-effective solution for large gardens and properties. Choose Rootblast for powerful weed control and a weed-free garden all year round.
- Ideal for clearing weeds from paths, patios and rives including areas of tarmac, concrete and block paving.
- Kills tough weeds and their roots including: Ground Elder, Nettles, Docks, Couch Grass, Japanese Knotweed, Brambles, Bracken & Ivy.
- Each box contains 3 x 8g Simple ready measured soluble doses and treats up to 75sqm.
- Apply at any time when weeds are showing green leaf and are actively growing.
- Keep children and pets away from treated areas until the spray has dried.
- Kills ivy japanese knotweed, saplings, brambles and nettles to the root
- Kills up to 16 tree stumps
- Contains a reusable pipette for specialist treatment of japanese knotweed
- Kills the roots so weeds don't come back
- Degraded in the soil by micro organisms
- WEED KILLER CONCENTRATE: Rootblast's strong weed killer is both super-concentrated and tough on most broad leaf and grass weeds. It's specifically designed to bring you the best results by using systematic herbicide technology. It targets weeds from the inside and kills them at their underlying roots, preventing any future growth
- GLYPHOSATE WEED KILLER: For optimal weed control, Rootblast have created a concentrate weed killer that contains 360g/l of glyphosate. Glyphosate is a broad-spectrum systemic herbicide and crop desiccant that is used by famers. It kills and destroys the weed without affecting the crop. By using glyphosate, Rootblast's weed killer is stronger and more effective than most other weed killers on the market
- GLYPHOSATE HERBICIDE: This powerful and effective weed killer is designed to target weeds such as dandelion, grasses, docks, nettles, willowherb, bindweed, woody brambles, tree stumps, ivy and more. After applying Rootblast's heavy duty weed killer, the first signs of weed control are visible when the weed leaves yellow - this can take anywhere from a few days to up to 2-4 weeks. From this 1 litre bottle of glyphosate herbicide concentrate, you can make up 50 litres of product when it's diluted
- DOCK, GRASS & DANDELION KILLER: Alongside this industrial strength weed killer, you'll receive a pair of protective gloves as well as the integral measuring device attached to the bottle. The gloves provide you with protection to ensure your experience is as easy and safe as possible. The integral measuring device is an inbuilt measuring cup, simply remove cap and carefully squeeze the container until the cup is full
- TOTAL PROTECT WEED GARDEN SPRAY: This easy to use product is available as a ready to use tough, concentrated weed killer that comes with a integral measuring device attached and protective gloves. Use by professional garden and farmers, this product can tackle your weed problem and kill the weed from the root - the ultimate weed killer!
- For use on unwanted vegetation and areas not intended to bear vegetation
- Contains 72 g/l glyphosate for effective control of annual and deep-rooted perennial garden weeds, including grasses*, docks, nettles, willowherb, dandelion and bindweed. Also suitable for woody brambles, tree stumps and Ivy.
- Coverage up to 66sqm per sachet