Many homeowners struggle with the question of whether or not to remove bracken fern from their property.
Bracken fern is a weed that can quickly take over an area, crowding out other plants and damaging the landscape.
Removing bracken fern is the best way to protect your property and keep it looking its best. There are several methods for removing bracken fern, so choose the one that works best for you.
What is bracken fern and what does it look like
Bracken Fern is a type of fern that can grow very quickly and takes over other plants in the area. These types of plants are often referred to as invasive species because they cause problems for native plant populations. It has been said that if you remove bracken fern from your yard or garden, it will help to prevent this type of invasion and provide more space for native plants to grow.
Bracken can be identified by its green leaves that grow to about six inches long with wavy edges; its dark brown stems that grow up to three feet tall; and small clusters of white spores under each leaf.
How do I identify bracken fern on my property?
There are over 100 types of ferns in the world, but one of the most common is bracken.
Bracken fern is a very common plant and can grow in many areas of the world such as North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, New Zealand and the UK. Since they are so widespread it is important to know what kind of environment bracken fern can grow in.
These plants are found most often near the edges of meadows, wetlands and roadsides. They prefer soils with high amounts of organic matter, moisture and nutrients like calcium carbonate or limestone. They also like to grow where there have been disturbances recently such as landslides or deforestation making them great at growing on disturbed land.
How does bracken fern spread?
Bracken fern spreads via spores, not seeds. Spores are tiny, single-celled plants that grow into larger plants during cross-pollination with another bracken fern plant. Once they develop into adult plants, they will reproduce more young plants until there is a vast area of bracken ferns.
Is bracken fern poisonous to people or animals?
Bracken fern is known to be poisonous to both humans and animals, but there are no cases of their toxicity being fatal. These plants contain ptaquiloside which is toxic to humans if they ingest large amounts of it. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coma and even death if the person ingests too much of it.
Also, bracken fern contains thiaminase which can cause rhabdomyolysis when eaten by horses. This means that the muscle fibres in their body start to break down and lead to kidney damage or even death.
The best way to remove bracken fern from your garden
If you are trying to get rid of bracken ferns in their own yard or somewhere else outside where it can cause damage, they can use a cultivator to remove the plant. If the bracken fern has spread throughout your property then you might need to use herbicides in its place.
The most effective way to rid your yard of bracken fern is to remove the entire plant. This will prevent them from spreading, but soil erosion can still happen due to their ability for horizontal growth.
Do not try to kill them by pulling them out, because they will just grow back again in the same area since there are spores in the soil ready to start the process all over again.
The best way to deal with bracken fern is to remove it before it becomes established. This can be done through manual removal, herbicides, or flame-weeding.
Want to know more about removing bracken fern?
Knotweed Removal aims to provide the most up-to-date information, help and advice for YOU to make informed decisions. If you are unsure or uncertain about how to proceed, please reach out to us and we will gladly come back and advise you as best we can.
The best means to contact us is via our email – email@example.com
Do not forget we have a library of blogs covering many areas relevant to Japanese Knotweed, our free downloadable How-to Guides and Product Reviews on the latest methods being employed to eradicate or remove Japanese Knotweed.
Knotweed Removal, UK
- Without the need for toxic chemicals, this garden torch blasts the plants with intensive heat that instantly destroys the weeds' internal cell structures causing them to wither and die within 1-2 days. It leaves the garden completely safe for children and animals immediately after use.
- It's environmentally friendly. Using heat to zap the weeds, and they don't grow back.
- Easy and safe operation Unique cylinder locking to prevent leakage Ergonomic handle design
- Environmentally friendly; no hazardous chemicals Cordless; lightweight Adjustable flame, economical to use Heat blast permanently destroys plant cell structure
- Ideal for de-icing pavements, de-freezing brass water pipes and lighting BBQ grills, Complete with 8 Refills
- 𝐏𝐈𝐄𝐙𝐎 𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐎 𝐈𝐆𝐍𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 – Our GREEN HAVEN Weed Burner is designed for your convenience. Featuring a state-of-the-art piezo auto ignition system, it allows you to fire up your burner quickly and safely. No more fumbling with matches or lighters.
- 𝐒𝐈𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐈𝐓𝐘 𝐀𝐓 𝐈𝐓𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐓 – We believe in making your life easier. That's why our portable weed burner is incredibly user-friendly. Say goodbye to the hassle of locating a power outlet – no cords, no limitations. Experience the freedom of a gas-powered solution that's as efficient as it is effortless.
- 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐋 – Take control of your weed-busting efforts with our adjustable flame feature. The Weed Burner allows you to fine-tune the flame output with a simple turn of the control knob. Whether you need a gentle touch or a roaring blaze, it's all at your fingertips.
- 𝐄𝐍𝐕𝐈𝐑𝐎𝐍𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐁𝐋𝐄 – We care about the planet as much as you do. Our weed burner provides a green alternative to chemical-based weed treatments. Preserve the integrity of your garden and environment without compromising on effectiveness.
- 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐄𝐂𝐓 𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐑 – Choose the GREEN HAVEN Weed Burner for a weed-banishing experience that's fast, efficient, and environmentally friendly. Embrace the power of fire and regain control over your outdoor spaces.
- 𝐌𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐑: Munnie weed burner is perfect for dealing with those pesky weeds. Comes with a piezo auto ignition and adjustable flame control making it suitable for all different sizes and shapes of weeds.
- 𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐘 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐓: Our portable weed burner is easy to setup and use, no need for a source of electricity making to useful to use in either small or large areas with no power source. No need to buy expensive electric alternatives to remove weeds.
- 𝐏𝐈𝐄𝐙𝐎 𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐎 𝐈𝐆𝐍𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍: Munnie weed wand is fitted with a piezo auto ignition function, allowing you to start your burner faster, efficiently and safer. Handy function built in to make gardening and other uses much easier.
- 𝐀𝐃𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐌𝐄: This gas burner is equipped with a fully adjustable flame function which allows you to have more control over the flame output. Just simply adjust via the control knob to adjust the size of the flame either making the flame bigger or smaller.
- 𝐄𝐍𝐕𝐈𝐑𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐋𝐘: We pride ourselves in providing products which are great for the environment and do not have a negative impact on our planet. Our gas burner is a great way to treat weeds in and around the garden and driveway without any use of harmful chemicals.