The internet is full of Japanese knotweed myths and misconceptions regarding what can kill knotweed or the effect it can have on your property. Here we try to dispel some of the obvious ones and enlighten you to what Japanese knotweed is capable of and well-known for.
Will Japanese knotweed grow through concrete?
Japanese knotweed myths #1
This is quite a popular one and is normally matched with a host of similar questions, such as:
- ‘Can it destabilise foundations?’
- ‘It has the potential to cause structural damage?’
There are many horror stories littered across the internet regarding Japanese Knotweed, often about its strength and the damage it is capable of doing. Japanese Knotweed cannot break through a solid piece of concrete.
It will, however, seek out any cracks or weaknesses in any structure, which many properties will have cracks or movements within the property below ground caused by various things including subsidence and foundation settling.
Like all plants, Japanese Knotweed seeks light when underground. Its rapid growth means that a small piece could find its way through a crack or fissure, and then push it open as it grows.
To be clear and unequivocal, providing the previous groundwork/construction works have been completed correctly and to a high standard. It is almost impossible for Japanese Knotweed to grow through a slab of solid concrete, nor will it ‘destabilise solid foundation’s.
Furthermore, incidents, whereby the plant has a dramatic ‘negative effect’ on any ‘solid structure’, are few and far between.
Will salt kill Japanese knotweed?
Japanese knotweed myths #2
This along with many other chemicals is a misconception. Pouring salt, diesel, caustic soda, turpentine, bleach, fairy liquid on the plant or into the ground are just some of the common fallacies which appear to have gathered momentum over the years, whilst some may appear innovative, ultimately, they will deliver no desired result.
The only substance known to kill Japanese Knotweed is a glyphosate-based herbicide. Unfortunately, the herbicides which are available to the public are also not strong enough to do the job. The herbicide used by licenced professionals is 300x stronger than anything available for purchase by the public.
Will I be refused a mortgage on a property if Japanese knotweed is found?
Japanese knotweed myths #3
Whilst the media has whipped up a frenzy over how this can devalue your property and leave you feeling isolated from the housing market, this could not be further from the truth.
Like most lenders they expect either party, purchaser or seller to have done their due diligence and ensure that if Japanese knotweed is or was present on the property and any land adjacent to the property, that it is disclosed and appropriate measures have been taken.
This will normally involve the use of a site survey and management plan, coupled with an insurance backed guarantee. If you have these documents are in place from a PCA accredited company, mortgage lenders will happily release the funds.
Is it illegal to have Japanese knotweed on your land?
Japanese knotweed myths #4
Another common myth about knotweed is that it is illegal to have the plant growing on your land. It is not illegal and neither is Japanese knotweed a notifiable weed, so you do not have to inform the authorities of its presence.
However, if the knotweed spreads to an adjacent property you could face legal action from your neighbour and would most likely be forced to pay for the knotweed to be treated on both sides of the fence, as well as compensate them for any reduction in the value of the property and cover their legal costs.
Similarly, if you sell a property that has been affected, even if it has been successfully treated, you are legally obliged to inform any potential purchaser and could face legal action in the future if you fail to disclose that information. But with the right treatments and guarantees in place, there is no reason why it should be a deal-breaker.
Want to know more about Japanese Knotweed myths?
Knotweed Removal aims to provide the most up to date information, help and advice for YOU to make informed decisions. If you are unsure or uncertain on how to proceed, please reach out to us and we will gladly come back and advise you as best we can.
The best means to contact us is via our email – email@example.com
Do not forget we have a library of blogs covering many areas relevant to Japanese Knotweed, our free downloadable How-to Guides and Product Reviews on the latest methods being employed to eradicate or remove Japanese Knotweed.
Knotweed Removal, UK
- Kills ivy japanese knotweed, saplings, brambles and nettles to the root
- Kills up to 16 tree stumps
- Contains a reusable pipette for specialist treatment of japanese knotweed
- Kills the roots so weeds don't come back
- Degraded in the soil by micro organisms
- WEED KILLER CONCENTRATE: Rootblast's strong weed killer is both super-concentrated and tough on most broad leaf and grass weeds. It's specifically designed to bring you the best results by using systematic herbicide technology. It targets weeds from the inside and kills them at their underlying roots, preventing any future growth
- GLYPHOSATE WEED KILLER: For optimal weed control, Rootblast have created a concentrate weed killer that contains 360g/l of glyphosate. Glyphosate is a broad-spectrum systemic herbicide and crop desiccant that is used by famers. It kills and destroys the weed without affecting the crop. By using glyphosate, Rootblast's weed killer is stronger and more effective than most other weed killers on the market
- GLYPHOSATE HERBICIDE: This powerful and effective weed killer is designed to target weeds such as dandelion, grasses, docks, nettles, willowherb, bindweed, woody brambles, tree stumps, ivy and more. After applying Rootblast's heavy duty weed killer, the first signs of weed control are visible when the weed leaves yellow - this can take anywhere from a few days to up to 2-4 weeks. From this 1 litre bottle of glyphosate herbicide concentrate, you can make up 50 litres of product when it's diluted
- DOCK, GRASS & DANDELION KILLER: Alongside this industrial strength weed killer, you'll receive a pair of protective gloves as well as the integral measuring device attached to the bottle. The gloves provide you with protection to ensure your experience is as easy and safe as possible. The integral measuring device is an inbuilt measuring cup, simply remove cap and carefully squeeze the container until the cup is full
- TOTAL PROTECT WEED GARDEN SPRAY: This easy to use product is available as a ready to use tough, concentrated weed killer that comes with a integral measuring device attached and protective gloves. Use by professional garden and farmers, this product can tackle your weed problem and kill the weed from the root - the ultimate weed killer!
- Ideal for ground clearance on untidy overgrown areas. This includes sheds and greenhouses, along Fences, gravel areas, and other areas not intended for vegetation such as paths and drives.
- Unique dual action fomulation, kills weeds to the root and acts fast
- No measuring or mess - just add water
- Kills brambles, nettles, thisles, docks and other deep-rooted weeds
- Children and pets need not be excluded from treated areas (once dry)